[plt-scheme] Problem fetching a URL

From: Robby Findler (robby at cs.uchicago.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 11 16:15:17 EDT 2006

At Wed, 11 Oct 2006 16:10:59 -0400, "Christopher Armstrong" wrote:
> On 10/11/06, Robby Findler <robby at cs.uchicago.edu> wrote:
> > Do you (or does anyone else) have a reference to an rfc or similar that
> > actually says what the syntax for queries is supposed to be?
> > rfc3986.txt (the latest url syntax rfc I know of) doesn't seem to say.
>
> Indeed I cannot refer to any RFC describing the relationship between
> "&" and ";" in a strict manner, and that is the authority by which I
> argue: why make changes to an URL that seem "correct" when nothing
> actually says you're allowed to do that?

The url is actually parsed and unparsed in the code you sent and, the
way that library is currently designed, the delimiter isn't recorded in
the parsed form.

Perhaps it should be, but it seems hard to be sure.

> > (And there's nothing "willy nilly" about it, thank you very much!)
>
>      {Will he, nill he}, whether he wills it or not; usually
>         contracted to {willy-nilly}.
>
> I don't think that the Yahoo server wills it, and nor did the OP :-)

I took the other meaning (haphazardly, without plan) --- I didn't even
know that meaning. Neat :).

Robby

Posted on the users mailing list.