[plt-scheme] How far has anyone gotten toward writing a SOAP connector?

From: Hans Oesterholt-Dijkema (hdnews at gawab.com)
Date: Mon Nov 6 08:13:30 EST 2006

Op 6/11/2006 schreef "Shriram Krishnamurthi" <sk at cs.brown.edu>:

>> Because Soap has inbuilt, standardized possibilities to
>> travel through business processes. [...]
>> Because one has to deal with reality.
>
>These are all the usual reasons for wanting to use SOAP.  But where an
>XML-RPC or REST interface is available, it's a lot easier to use.  My
>implicit question was, "Isn't there an XML-RPC or REST interface to
>the same service?"  There increasingly are, and they would just much
>let you "deal with reality" without having to buy into complex
>protocols whose survival, or at least usability, is questionable.

I agree with "usability", but I don't know about "survival". It's
getting
pretty mainstream. And I've seen multiple implementations at
various organisations in the Netherlands.

>> Because .NET and Java and all commercial products deliver WSDL/SOAP.
>
>This is not a technical statement.

No, neither meant to be.

>> Because everyone commercial vendor makes money out of the chaos that
>> is becomes from too much complexity and flexibility that is not
>> understood.
>
>I don't know how to parse this, but: the alphabet soup assocated with
>Web services (of the SOAP kind) is a great opportunity for vendors to
>promote complexity and chaos and thereby make money off of it.  I find
>it not at all coincidental that many of the people pushing the more
>complex Web service specifications are the same companies that make
>tons of money out of consulting, "global services", etc.

Well, you parsed it correctly. And this is my daily routine ;-).
I'm not on the global services consulting or what's the microsoft
variant on this side. But as an independent consultant, I'm dealing
with it every day, scoping their ambitious plans for my client(s).

I understand the technical point of view and that's also how I
would like it to be, but technical arguments provide no stable basis
for discussion about this subject in the given environment.

>Shriram

Hans

Posted on the users mailing list.