[plt-scheme] How far has anyone gotten toward writing a SOAP connector?

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi (sk at cs.brown.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 6 05:18:06 EST 2006

> Because Soap has inbuilt, standardized possibilities to
> travel through business processes. [...]
> Because one has to deal with reality.

These are all the usual reasons for wanting to use SOAP.  But where an
XML-RPC or REST interface is available, it's a lot easier to use.  My
implicit question was, "Isn't there an XML-RPC or REST interface to
the same service?"  There increasingly are, and they would just much
let you "deal with reality" without having to buy into complex
protocols whose survival, or at least usability, is questionable.

> Because .NET and Java and all commercial products deliver WSDL/SOAP.

This is not a technical statement.

> Because everyone commercial vendor makes money out of the chaos that
> is becomes from too much complexity and flexibility that is not
> understood.

I don't know how to parse this, but: the alphabet soup assocated with
Web services (of the SOAP kind) is a great opportunity for vendors to
promote complexity and chaos and thereby make money off of it.  I find
it not at all coincidental that many of the people pushing the more
complex Web service specifications are the same companies that make
tons of money out of consulting, "global services", etc.

Shriram

Posted on the users mailing list.