[plt-scheme] Appalling performance of DrScheme on Windows

From: Prabhakar Ragde (plragde at uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Mon Jun 19 20:22:59 EDT 2006

"wooks" wrote:

> I am running DrScheme on Windows XP and I regularly experience abysmal
> response time running DrScheme.
>
> Usually its starts off ok but the longer its left running the worse the
> response time gets (especially if you leave a session idle for a long time).
> It is not uncommon for me to manage only 4 interactions in an hour because
> DrScheme just hangs for ages before it will accept input.

I love DrScheme like a child of mine (almost) but I have to say that I
have experienced this on OS X. On a machine which never goes to sleep,
it is not a problem. On my laptop, which I close for hours at a time, it
is a problem on waking. DrScheme is very slow to respond, the disk can
be heard clicking, and it can be cured by quitting it (once I get a menu
to actually stay open) and immediately starting it up again. This has
been the case with 299 through 301; I haven't enough experience with
350, of course, to know if it persists there.

If there are any stats I can collect in order to diagnose the problem,
please let me know. --PR

Posted on the users mailing list.