[plt-scheme] Colleges using DrScheme

From: Robby Findler (robby at cs.uchicago.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 13 15:45:36 EDT 2006

At Thu, 13 Jul 2006 20:28:59 +0100, Patrick Collison wrote:
> On 13 Jul 2006, at 18:09, Robby Findler wrote:

> >> DrScheme has always struck me as quite a solid, stable program.
> >> About five years ago I did have a student whose Windows box went into
> >> blue-screen-of-death when he started DrScheme, but this kind of
> >> report is extremely rare -- and hey, it's Windows, what do you
> >> expect? :-)
> >
> > DrScheme is no longer young, experimental or immature.
>
> This certainly isn't/wasn't _my_ opinion.

Oh, right. Sorry for the confusion.

> > It has been
> > around for more than a decade. It gets, on average, 162 downloads per
> > day (over roughly the last year). You can look at the recent PR
> > reports
> > and see that most of the bugs are reported on internal releases and
> > there aren't really any severe stability issues, esp. when it comes to
> > its use in courses.
>
> Sure, yeah.
>
> > But I suggest you just try it yourself.
>
> I've already used it pretty extensively. It's convincing otherwise of
> its usefulness that I'm working at.

Well, hopefully the above stats are somewhat useful. Eli Barzilay
probably has more recent stats (and a broader variety of stats).

Beyond Chicago, Utah, Brown, Northeastern, and WPI (people you could
say that are "on the inside"), a google search for "course software
drscheme" reveals that Grinnell, Rice (a course run by someone who
wasn't even at Rice when we all left there), NYU, UMass Lowell, MIT,
Helsinki University of Technology, Waterloo, University of Minnestoa
Morris, Rutgers, and University of Rhode Island all use DrScheme in
their courses.

I only went to the third page -- you can probably find more if you keep
going.

Good luck.

Robby

Posted on the users mailing list.