[plt-scheme] feature request for PLaneT

From: Robby Findler (robby at cs.uchicago.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 10 18:42:41 EDT 2006

At Tue, 11 Jul 2006 00:25:04 +0200, Hans Oesterholt-Dijkema wrote:
> Jacob Matthews schreef:
> > I'm not sure I understand the feature you're proposing. One thing I
> > definitely _don't_ want is for PLaneT to ever change which package
> > resolves a particular PLaneT require (in a particular file) without
> > you explicitly telling it to do so --- if PLaneT upgrades your
> > packages completely automatically and something goes wrong, it would
> > be very difficult to figure out why your program worked yesterday but
> > doesn't work today. (If you _want_ to change package's links, then you
> > can use the PLaneT command-line tool or the utility functions provided
> > by the planet collection to do that.)
> How? And how would I make it link to the latest available package?
> > Are you suggesting that a background thread check for minor revisions
> > to installed packages, and when they become available offer to install
> > them and relink packages that point to them (like, e.g., Windows Update)?
>
> /Yes, I want to be able to require planet packages, in a way (so I'm
> explicitly telling that it is what I want),
> to upgrade minor revisions automatically.
> /
> /Or another way of invoking an update cycle./

If you run "planet -U" you will unlink your existing packages. You can
then download the versions you want via "planet -i", but you'd have to
do that manually.

If there were a command-line invocation of planet that said "download
the latest minor revision for each package that I already have a minor
revision of", you could combine that with the "-U" option.

Would that be what you want?

Robby

Posted on the users mailing list.