[plt-scheme] Re: Which library?

From: Jim Blandy (jimb at red-bean.com)
Date: Mon Jul 3 12:28:24 EDT 2006

On 7/2/06, Mark Engelberg <mark.engelberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> I already understand that SRFIs are an attempt to create a standard
> set of libraries that can be expected to be available in multiple
> scheme implementations.

What I need to keep reminding myself about SRFIs is that they don't
represent any sort of endorsement by a community.  A SRFI author needs
to put their idea up for discussion, but the burden is on the
discutants to persuade the author to make changes, never the other way
around.

So, the SRFI process essentially provides archiving, permanence, and a
little bit of consistency (for example, there needs to be a sample
implementation).  But they're not necessarily representative of "The
Scheme Way", or best practices, or even some committee's consensus.

Posted on the users mailing list.