[plt-scheme] Emacs modes and s-expression comments

From: Paulo J. Matos (pocmatos at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Feb 15 19:20:25 EST 2006

I think I've brought this issue up quite some times along the last
years on the mailing list.

But right now, I do not quite recall if I got an answer to the following:
Why was DrScheme in the first place built on a WxWindows fork? Why was
the need to fork WxWidgets. AFAICT it got us arrested to an old
version which is today obsolete and that's why DrScheme is not
fancier, right?

Anyway, what would be the amount of work to dig under DrScheme and
replace the WxWindows version distributed with DrScheme to a current
one? With luck WxWindows is not 'completely' different and not much of
DrScheme itself needs to be touched.

And probably I'm only saying non-sense. Anyway, I'd like some input...

Probably, some day, the 75 year-old DrScheme may look like more a 35
year old ProfScheme. ;)

Cheers,

Paulo Matos
(Note: I have nothing against 75 year old people nor Dr's.)

On 15/02/06, Robby Findler <robby at cs.uchicago.edu> wrote:
> Carl, please first read the DrScheme manual before you make such
> claims. You're wrong on both points in your first paragraph.
>
> That said, I don't care if you like Emacs or whatever. This mailing
> list is not the place for such debates. Please join the PLT bashers on
> the IRC channel and leave this forum to people who want to get real
> work done.
>
> Robby
>
> At Wed, 15 Feb 2006 17:27:57 -0500, Carl Eastlund wrote:
> > DrScheme could, oh no, include the useful editor features I've come to
> > rely on like custom keybinds and split windows.  But it doesn't.  So
> > I'm sad either way.
> >
> > Besides, DrScheme isn't a general editor.  If I want to edit my Scheme
> > program, the Java program I'm porting it from, the corresponding
> > doc.txt file, and the LaTeX document where I write up the results... I
> > can open 4 different programs, or one.  I choose one.  That's the real
> > answer.
> >
> > On 2/15/06, Matthias Felleisen <matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> > > You could, oh no, switch to drscheme :-)

Paulo Jorge Matos - pocm at sat inesc-id pt
Web: http://sat.inesc-id.pt/~pocm
Computer and Software Engineering
INESC-ID - SAT Group