FW: [plt-scheme] Statistics (V301.5 Speed Up)

From: Matt Jadud (mcj4 at kent.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Feb 11 04:15:35 EST 2006

Statistics is not a "plug-n-chug" endeavor. One of my favorite resources
to date on exploratory data analysis comes from NIST:

I also liked Trisha Greenhalgh's "How to read a paper: The basics of
evidence-based medicine", a book (surprise!) on interpreting reports and
results in the area of evidence-based medicine. The full text seems to
be available here:

and the two articles "Statistics for the non-statistician" and
"Statistics for the non-statistician II" are good; the remainder of the
book requires some interpretation to apply out of context, but it is
still a good resource while performing EDA on unknown datasets.

Sadly, I can't join further in the First International Scheme Contest
for One Statistical Beer, as I need to take off for parts uknown for the

No free beer for me.

Williams, M. Douglas wrote:

> I ran 1000 runs and made a histogram of the results.  Unfortunately, there
> is one value out at 16353 while the others were between about 6000 and 8000.
> Which made the histogram difficult to interpret.  I have attached the code
> and the resulting histogram.

Posted on the users mailing list.