[plt-scheme] Fwd: Lisp article

From: Geoffrey Knauth (geoff at knauth.org)
Date: Thu Feb 9 04:37:57 EST 2006

On Feb 8, 2006, at 23:47, Shriram Krishnamurthi forwarded:
> http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1917202,00.asp was summarized in
> the current ACM TechNews web. It's a great pitch, with some Lisp
> efficiency notes at the end ...

A wise teacher in prep school told me his Law of Irony.  I have seen
it action more than a few times since the 1970s.  If it holds, then
all the people who laughed in my face when I proposed Lisp or Scheme
in recent years, or when other colleagues mentioned Haskell, those
who hissed and insisted on Java because Java programmers are a
commodity, will scratch their heads as environments for functional
languages improve.

Many fine programmers have found a home in languages influenced by
Guy Steele.  Fortress anyone?  Will functional languages have a good
interface with Fortress?

Geoffrey
--
Geoffrey S. Knauth | http://knauth.org/gsk