[plt-scheme] using PLaneT

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Sun Apr 2 14:25:56 EDT 2006

On Apr  2, Prabhakar Ragde wrote:
> I installed 301 on my PowerBook (I'd been making do with 300 for a
> while) and decided to try using PLaneT for the first time, to load
> Jim Bender's WebIt!, version 2.0. I put the necessary "require
> (planet ...)  into my code, but it was run via a shell script
> invoked from the command line, which failed with a permissions
> error.

This should not have happened -- planet should only touch files in
your home directory, and these all should belong to you.

> I had to run it using sudo to get the download to occur, and then my
> code was horribly slow.  Running setup-plt (also under sudo)
> compiled WebIt! (plus some other collections which didn't seem to be
> compiled) and my code was much faster after that. Is it supposed to
> be this complicated?

Seems like you had some other problem then.  If you can try the new
installers from pre.plt-scheme.org, that will be helpful.  These are
made in a way that should allow users with administrative rights to
write to the plt directory.  (Although that is not needed for using