[plt-scheme] find-method/who

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 28 11:48:46 EST 2005

At Tue, 22 Mar 2005 16:16:57 -0500, John Clements wrote:
> My proposal is this: rather than having the syntax-recertify fail
> silently, producing an uncertified syntax-object, I would rather that
> syntax-recertify raised an exception when the supplied inspector was
> not powerful enough to transfer a certificate.

I went back and forth on this, but I was originally trying to balance
some goals that I've since abandoned.

Note that a syntax object can have multiple certificates, so it's not
all-or-nothing. Probably it would be useful to characterize the result
as one of three possibilities: all certificates (possibly zero)
transferred, some certificates transferred and others (at least one)
blocked, or all certificates (at least one) blocked.

> I don't believe that the current behavior is documented

I think the docs for `syntax-recertify' imply the current behavior, but
they could be clearer.

Perhaps the right solution is to add three continuation-proc arguments
to `syntax-recertify' to give the programmer control over the three
different cases.

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.