[plt-scheme] find-method/who

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Tue Mar 22 16:16:57 EST 2005

On Mar 22, 2005, at 1:20 PM, Matthew Flatt wrote:

>> By the way, is there a way to inspect the certificates of a syntax
>> object directly?
>
> Not currently.

I've spent some time debugging syntax certificates recently, and I've
got a small proposed change.  The following code tries to do a bad
thing, by pulling 'a' out of its certified context.

(module hides-a mzscheme
   (define a #t); secret!

   (provide ref-to-a)
   (define-syntax (ref-to-a stx)
     (syntax-case stx ()
       [(_) #`(if a 79 297)])))

(current-code-inspector (make-inspector (current-code-inspector))) ;
remove privileges from later code

(module tries-to-see-a mzscheme
   (require hides-a)

   (define a-stx (expand #`(ref-to-a)))
   (printf "value of a: ~v\n"
           (eval (syntax-case a-stx ()
                   [(i a-ref c d)
                    (syntax-recertify #`a-ref a-stx
(current-code-inspector) #f)]))))

(require tries-to-see-a)

=> compile: access from an uncertified context to unexported variable
from module: hides-a in: a

The location of the error is given as the 'eval'.

My proposal is this: rather than having the syntax-recertify fail
silently, producing an uncertified syntax-object, I would rather that
syntax-recertify raised an exception when the supplied inspector was
not powerful enough to transfer a certificate.

The problem is that when I see an error like the above, I can't tell
whether it's because I didn't call recertify in the right place, or
because my inspector wasn't strong enough.

I don't believe that the current behavior is documented, so it
shouldn't be the case that client code depends on this behavior.
Perhaps MzScheme depends on the current behavior?

john