[plt-scheme] Re: Change the World

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Mar 22 09:21:20 EST 2005

--- Geoffrey Knauth <geoff at knauth.org> wrote:

> That's the question, what *IS* the next big thing.

Well, if we knew we'd all have a pool full of money in the
backyard, right?

But there are a few trends that seem viable:

For your VC friend a few years ago it was social software
(e.g. Bloglines, Flickr, LiveJournal).  It probably still
is, but the obvious niches have been taken.

Games are a huge industry and there is the opportunity to
apply mad PL skillz to interesting problems in this domain
(think: Cell).

Rich UI web-based apps seem viable and growing (see
Laszlo).

In other sectors there are no doubt other opportunities.  I
don't know enough about, for example, the embedded market
to see what is hot there.

Cheers,
Noel

PS: I trimmed Paul Graham from the replies, figuring he
didn't want the spam.  Feel free to forward to him if you wish.

Email: noelwelsh <at> yahoo <dot> com
AIM: noelhwelsh