[plt-scheme] Re: Change the World

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 22 09:22:01 EST 2005

On Mar 22, 2005, at 9:13 AM, Noel Welsh wrote:

> Another reason: 00 knowledge isn't directly transferrable
> to FP, and so the gap has been too great for people to just
> give Scheme a try.  The hip kids in the mainstream have
> been slowly hill-climbing from Perl -> Python -> Ruby and
> may be ready for Scheme as their next step.  This isn't to
> imply Scheme is strictly better than Ruby.   I don't know
> Ruby well, but I suspect there are ease-of-use elements
> that Scheme could usefully acquire from Ruby.

The premise of HtDP is that FP is the proper foundation for OOP. I
claim that if OOP were taught properly, i.e., according to the
standards of Smalltalk, moving from OOP to FP wouldn't be too difficult
either.

In any case, I need to write a "Scheme for Java" programmers intro for
next fall. Perhaps it will help if someone picks up this thread and
turns it into a book ;-)

-- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.