[plt-scheme] MrEd: Multi-column list-box?

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 28 08:13:22 EST 2005

At Fri, 28 Jan 2005 09:09:52 +0100, Erich Rast wrote:
> Another question: Is there a multi-column list-box in MrEd? I've seen
> some kind of hand-woven one in SirMail, but wasn't able to find its
> implementation in SirMail's source.

It's in "readr.ss", a combination of sorting-list%, line-snip%, and
hierarchical-list% (from the "hierlist" collection). The implementation
is not very flexible.

> Before I fill out a feature request, I'd like to know whether I perhaps
> missed something and standard multi-column listboxes are already
> available in v299.  I'm talking about those resizable, often sortable
> multi-column boxes you e.g. can find in Apple Mail's main window on OS
> X.

No, there's nothing like that in our libraries.

FWIW, adding a table variant of editor<%> is on my list of things to
do, and I think it's a small step from there to multi-column listboxes.
But I don't know when I'll get to that.

> Also: Should people generally fill feature requests for things like
> that, or is it enough to mention it on the mailing list?

I think I rarely add a feature in response to a feature-request in the
bug database, because there's just too much to do. Instead, I add
features that seem generally useful as I'm able, and I suspect that
others work that way, too.

So, I'd say that mentioning it on the mailing list is the right
strategy. Besides reminding us that it would be useful, others on the
list (who don't receive regular bug reports) might be able to help.

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.