[plt-scheme] Namespace problems...

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Thu Jan 27 22:33:54 EST 2005

On Jan 28, Paulo Jorge de Oliveira Cantante de Matos wrote:
> It won't work, namespace-variable-value is not working as I
> would like.  This won't work:
>
> (module test mzscheme
>
>   (define (hah-foo)
>     (display "foo"))
>
>   ((namespace-variable-value 'hah-foo #t))
>
>   )

It tries to pull out a value for a global `hah-foo', for whatever
happens to be the current namespace.  Module variables are best
thought of as any other bound names -- they have no name.  To solve
it, you can use the namespace after it is initialized like this:

  (eval '(define (hah-foo) ...))

or slightly better:

  (namespace-set-variable-value! 'hah-foo (lambda () ...))

but then you can see that this is basically using the namespace only
for its hash-table-like property, so it is better to just use a hash
table.  With very basic syntax, you can make it look like definitions.