[plt-scheme] Databases and SLIB

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jan 25 04:30:29 EST 2005

--- Erich Rast <erich at snafu.de> wrote:

> So the question is whether there is a lightweight DB in
> Plt Scheme that
> 1.) doesn't hold everything in memory
> 2.) let's the programmer know which files are written to
> disk
> 3.) will be able to store and search for Unicode strings
> Does anyone have a suggestion what I could use?

If you are happy to give up SQL the Berkeley DB (or the
less featureful GDBM) may suit your needs.  There are
bindings to the latter at:

(Or so I think; my Russian isn't up to much.)  For the
former I am working on bindings.  They are in the
Schematics CVS.  Currently other projects are occupying my
copious free time; I'll get around to finishing them
eventually if someone else (hint) doesn't beat me to it.

If you want SQL, then perhaps SQLite would do?

  SQLite is a small C library that implements a
  self-contained, embeddable, zero-configuration SQL
  database engine.

There is also MetaKit:

  Metakit is an efficient embedded database library with a
  small footprint. It fills the gap between flat-file,
  relational, object-oriented, and tree-structured
  databases, supporting relational joins, serialization,
  nested structures, and instant schema evolution.

If you write bindings to any of the above you'll be my
personal hero; we really need more DB bindings.

Email: noelwelsh <at> yahoo <dot> com
AIM: noelhwelsh

Do you Yahoo!?