[plt-scheme] Databases and SLIB

From: Erich Rast (erich at snafu.de)
Date: Tue Jan 25 03:48:46 EST 2005

Dear Schemers,

I'm looking for a lightweight database for mzscheme. I haven't managed
to install SrPersist on my machine yet, but it's not an option anyway
because DBs like mySQL are too big and cannot be packaged within an
application due to license issues.

SLIB's database engine using weighted trees would be perfect for my
purpose, but SLIB refuses to run reliably on my machine (OS X 10.3, Plt
Scheme 209, SLIB 3a1). The platform-CPU-table database example in the
SLIB manual yields an error in lineio.scm:  reference to undefined
identifier: system. Redefining system to system/exit-codes from
process.ss yields: Error: bad emacs lock ".#foo.db" ""

Given that it's also not clear how to compile programs using SLIB, I
gave up. Also, the engine I'm looking for shouldn't write temporary
files to disk without the programmer having control over this.

So the question is whether there is a lightweight DB in Plt Scheme that

1.) doesn't hold everything in memory

2.) let's the programmer know which files are written to disk

3.) will be able to store and search for Unicode strings

Does anyone have a suggestion what I could use? Is there perhaps any
command-line DB tool that compiles out-of-the-box on  OS X? Is anyone
working on persistent objects in native scheme?

Best regards,

Erich

Posted on the users mailing list.