[plt-scheme] Additional material for the helpdesk

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sat Dec 31 13:06:40 EST 2005

George, these are some good ideas that you present here, especially
concerning (1) "one stop shopping"; (2) the way we index into the
manuals; and (3) user contributions.

Context 1: PLT's DrScheme is not a programming language but an IDE for
many "dialects" of Scheme. We took the Platonic idea of "Report Scheme"
to the extreme and provide a whole bunch of Scheme-like languages (and
others) within DrScheme.

Context 2: The Cookbook is not a PLT-specific book; it just currently
focuses on PLT Scheme, as the coverpage says. We need to respect this.

So, on to your ideas:

re 1: I really think that we should open up Help Desk so that the
Cookbook editors can contribute their documentation to our releases.
Great idea.

This is the closest thing we can do right now for one-stop Info (and
language integration) until all other Scheme implementors stop working
on their stuff and begin to contribute to PLT :-) [Note: I consider the
multitude of Scheme implementations as a disadvantage but also an
advantage. Like the Internet, "Scheme" will survive because of it, and
that's good. So this is a joke, just in case someone misses/misreads my
smiley.]

Having said that, we may wish to consider contributing our
documentation to the a web site such as Cookbook so that you can enter
the docs from a single place on the Web, if that's your preference.

re 2: You're right. When a programmer searches in Help Desk, nothing
but the most relevant information should show up. So you probably
shouldn't be able to look in Help Desk without having chosen a
language. The results should be restricted to what applies to your
language. The results should be ordered according to relevance:
Cookbook, language manual, etc. And possibly the results should come
with Google-like excerpts from the doc pages so that you can you can
choose the most relevant easily.

re 3: I have suggested a user-open book the other day to the internal
group but the uniform response was "use a wiki." I have two responses
for now:

- One, we could just direct you to Cookbook where you can already
contribute as an author. Is this what you want?

- Two, we could create a system like the one for Bug Reports that
programmers can use to submit editorial comments, which we then (after
approval) incorporate into the docs automatically. Problem is that such
documentation could quickly get out-of-date when we upgrade, etc.
Someone would have to actively edit such user annotations.

I very much like the idea of opening up the docs to our users and
having them contribute.

Thanks for your proposals. We will discuss this. Happy New Year  --
Matthias