[plt-scheme] GUI redraw speed/show and scrolling

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 26 14:25:02 EDT 2005

At Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:07:08 -0500, Corey Sweeney wrote:
> Hi, I've set up a GUI with lots of buttons and nested panels.  When it
> draws a new window, it can take up to 15 seconds.  However, doing the
> same thing under gtk, takes under 1.
>
> I was thinking the problem might be that I was allowing the gui to
> display while it was adding all the panels (you can see it "building
> up" the window piece by piece), so I tried
>
> (send main-panel show #f)
> {add sub-panels and buttons}
> (send main-panel show #t)
>
> but this didn't seem to help.  Is there anything I can do to speed it up?

Even when a window is hidden (but not deleted), it contributes to its
parent's geometry.

Does

 (send main-panel begin-container-sequence)
 {add sub-panels and buttons}
 (send main-panel end-container-sequence)

help?

> Also, I'd like to be able to scroll one of my panels.  There seems to
> be a "scroll canvas", but if i'm correct in what i'm reading, a canvas
> is a container that can't hold buttons (or other controlls).  Is there
> any way to get a panel to scroll?

There's currently no support for scrolling panels. It's on a list of
things to add (eventually).

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.