[plt-scheme] GUI redraw speed/show and scrolling

From: Corey Sweeney (corey.sweeney at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 26 14:07:08 EDT 2005

Hi, I've set up a GUI with lots of buttons and nested panels.  When it
draws a new window, it can take up to 15 seconds.  However, doing the
same thing under gtk, takes under 1.

I was thinking the problem might be that I was allowing the gui to
display while it was adding all the panels (you can see it "building
up" the window piece by piece), so I tried

(send main-panel show #f)
{add sub-panels and buttons}
(send main-panel show #t)

but this didn't seem to help.  Is there anything I can do to speed it up?

Also, I'd like to be able to scroll one of my panels.  There seems to
be a "scroll canvas", but if i'm correct in what i'm reading, a canvas
is a container that can't hold buttons (or other controlls).  Is there
any way to get a panel to scroll?

Corey

Posted on the users mailing list.