[plt-scheme] newby question re upgrading Dr Scheme

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Thu Sep 9 18:30:04 EDT 2004

On Sep  9, Paul Snively wrote:
> Note to PLT team: I don't know how much you can do about Apple's
> installer, but you may wish to look into ensuring that the
> installation is done with permissions appropriate to the current
> user, rather than to the superuser that the installer app must run
> as.

I think that the only relevant setting for this in the package is the
IFPkgFlagAuthorizationAction which is set to RootAuthorization.

IIRC, using AdminAuthorization made the installation go with no
password prompt on some machines, which was confusing.  Using
RootAuthorization makes it almost always require authorization.
I'm not sure that AdminAuthorization would work better for such
issues.  What you suggest above seem to go with using NoAuthorization
which will always use the user's identity, but overall seem like a bad
idea.

The decision of what to do should be based on normal habits of Mac
users, balancing least surprise (asking for authoriation) and
usability (not requiring other tools to "fix" things up).  This is
information I don't have -- if anyone thinks that I should switch to
AdminAuthorization (or NoAuthorization), please let me know.

(I am not using Mac for my work, and my information on this is coming
almost exclusively from
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/SoftwareDistribution/Concepts/sd_permissions_author.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20001769/CIHIFADD
)