[plt-scheme] newby question re upgrading Dr Scheme

From: Paul Snively (psnively at mac.com)
Date: Thu Sep 9 17:57:15 EDT 2004

Hmmm, somehow this one slipped under my radar. Sorry for the late reply.

On Sep 5, 2004, at 5:18 AM, Tim Hanson wrote:

> on my G4 Mac OS X (10.2.8) system I have a working Dr Scheme 205
> version.

Step 1: Upgrade. Don't bother going to 10.3 now; wait until 10.4 is
available. You'll be glad you did.

> last year i used CVS to install and build a version (205.5?). I seem
> to remember it working at the time, but I probably have forgotten how
> I started it.
>
> just now I downloaded and installed 208. when i try to start it i get:
>
> 	standard-module-name-resolver: collection not found: "drscheme" in
> any of: ("/Users/tbh/Library/PLT Scheme/208/collects")
>
> I'm not sure where this path is coming from. (I put 208 in a different
> place. Speaking of which, am I free to pick up the directory and move
> it to another location?)

No, you aren't. More about that in a moment.

> I snooped for possible environment variables, but didn't find anything.
>
> Do I need to uninstall previous versions? Looks like I once "knew"
> enough to be dangerous to my (then future) self. :)
>
> Snooped around for an FAQ on this sort of thing, but haven't found
> anything yet. Is there an FAQ or how-to that includes uninstalling,
> re-installing, running parallel versions, etc. ?  (I had hoped to find
> something in an appendix to HtdPs
> 	http://www.htdp.org/2003-09-26/Companion/drscheme-Z-H
> -31.html#node_part_X
> but that appears empty?)
>

> Help/pointers would be appreciated.

I see from your follow-up that you have a permissions problem, which is
due to the fact that once you've authenticated the DrScheme installer,
it installs stuff as root. Ouch. With later versions of Mac OS X you
could use the Finder itself to correct the permissions problem (yay!)
for for now, download "Batchmod" <http://macchampion.com/arbysoft>.
Drop your DrScheme folder on it, set it to operate recursively, and
change all owners to your short name, and the group to "staff." When
that's done, run "Finish Install." You'll be able to see it setting the
PLT HOME path for all sorts of things to its new home. Then you'll be
good to go.

Note to PLT team: I don't know how much you can do about Apple's
installer, but you may wish to look into ensuring that the installation
is done with permissions appropriate to the current user, rather than
to the superuser that the installer app must run as.

> Cheers,
>

> Tim Hanson

Best regards,
Paul Snively