[plt-scheme] Scheme or Lisp?

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Oct 6 12:37:14 EDT 2004

Everyone has talked about the lack of database support.  It
is true.  The only points I can add are some of the
not-quite-finished drivers we have kicking around in
Schematics CVS.  There are incomplete drivers for MySQL,
PostgreSQL and Firebird.  I'm also working on a driver for
the Berkeley DB, which I intend to finish.

Now on to the good point.  There are excellent tools for
the presentation side of a web application.  My favourite
tool is WebIt!  If you know XSLT, it is an embedding of an
XSLT like language in Scheme.  If you don't know XSLT, it
is a way of transforming data into HTML.  You should also
know about SXPath -- an embedding of XPath in Scheme.
Finally, continuation-based web applications are much
easier to write than cookie/session based one.  Check out
the PLT web server and various PLT publications.

To give you one URL to look at, try:

The first four or so meeting are about SXPath,
continuations, SXML etc.  Ignore (most of) the content on
those pages and follow the given links for much goodness.

Email: noelwelsh <at> yahoo <dot> com
AIM: noelhwelsh

Do you Yahoo!?