[plt-scheme] DrScheme on a Unix server

From: Felix Klock's PLT scheme proxy (pltscheme at pnkfx.org)
Date: Tue May 18 09:14:34 EDT 2004

On May 17, 2004, at 1:28 PM, Paulo Jorge de Oliveira Cantante de Matos
wrote:

>> Is it possible to install DrScheme (or mzscheme) in the user home
>> directory,
>> without root privileges?
>
> I do that for cvs installs. Just run the configure script without any
> special prefix and it will install to the directory where the drscheme
> package was unpacked. It works under linux at least.

This has actually been irking me for a while;

Could someone fix the cvs setup process so that keeping three separate
build-related directories works?   What I'm referring to here is:
- One directory for source, (generated and maintained by CVS)
- One for the Makefiles and intermediate object code, (generated by
something like "% cd plt-build; ../plt-src/configure [...]")
- One for the target binaries and distribution code (generated with the
appropriate options to configure))

The last time I tried to do things this way with the CVS distribution,
almost everything worked, but the final installation failed because the
Makefile assumed that the install script was going to be in the same
directory as the Makefile, but configure didn't copy the install script
into the build directory when it generated the Makefile.  I was able to
figure out how to copy and run the install script myself (eventually),
but it seems like thats a stupid step to require from the human
following this (fairly standard) pattern for building from cvs trees...

Thanks,

-Felix

----
"I wasn't exactly "asking", and the "news" is
  that we burned your house down"  -www.redmeat.com

Posted on the users mailing list.