[plt-scheme] DrScheme on a Unix server

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Tue May 18 10:49:51 EDT 2004

On May 18, Felix Klock's PLT scheme proxy wrote:

> This has actually been irking me for a while;

At least one of us is very confused.

> Could someone fix the cvs setup process so that keeping three
> separate build-related directories works?  What I'm referring to
> here is:
> - One directory for source, (generated and maintained by CVS)
> - One for the Makefiles and intermediate object code, (generated by
>   something like "% cd plt-build; ../plt-src/configure [...]")

What do you mean "something like"?  It should work exactly like that.

> - One for the target binaries and distribution code (generated with
>   the appropriate options to configure))

What's "distribution code"?  The binaries will all be in plt/bin which
doesn't exist in cvs.  .zo files will be in the usual place, but how
do you expect them to be someplace else?

> The last time I tried to do things this way with the CVS
> distribution, almost everything worked, but the final installation
> failed because the Makefile assumed that the install script was
> going to be in the same directory as the Makefile,

I think that the makefile looks for the install script in the plt
directory, not where it is.  The install script itself will not make
much sense if it is moved away.

> but configure didn't copy the install script into the build
> directory when it generated the Makefile.

It shouldn't.

> I was able to figure out how to copy and run the install script
> myself (eventually), but it seems like thats a stupid step to
> require from the human following this (fairly standard) pattern for
> building from cvs trees...

Here's roughly what I (or the daily build script) do:

1. cd ...plt... ; cvs update
2. mkdir src/build
3. ../configure
4. make