[plt-scheme] An Editors Tale

From: Tim Johnson (tim at johnsons-web.com)
Date: Sat Jan 24 12:40:59 EST 2004

* Paulo Jorge de Oliveira Cantante de Matos <pocm at netvisao.pt> [040124 07:50]:

> On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 18:09, Grant Miner wrote:
> >
> > I'm all for it.  Personally I'd like to be able to write nice GNOME apps
> > in Scheme.  Obviously we need more man power, one way to get that is to
> > get the Python programmers.  So we have a chicken and egg problem.
>
> It's nice to that I'm not the only one. Indeed, a GNOME app all of it
> written in Scheme, it must be a dream, however, a dream that I hope will
> become possible one day.
>
> We have some programmers, not an army of programmers but still we have
> them, and good ones. However, I think that an effort is not centralized
> and there is not much motivation, but I hope that'll change... :D

  Well, I'm a python programmer, beginning to learn scheme - here's a
  thought:

  I also write in rebol,
    ( said to be highly influenced by scheme and lisp)
  which has no exposure to either the OS or the window
  managers.

  It does however, have good TCP/IP features, which I use for database
  access. In my little company, we have thought about writing a GUI
  'server' in either python or perl which would be the 'middle layer'
  between rebol and the OS/Window managers, and 'take orders' thru
  sockets.

  Any other thoughts on that? Similarly, could one use scheme
  thusly?

--
Tim Johnson <tim at johnsons-web.com>