[plt-scheme] Interacting w/ MzScheme

From: Doug Orleans (dougo at place.org)
Date: Sun Dec 12 23:48:55 EST 2004

Bradd W. Szonye writes:
 > >> This is one of the most bizarre uses of "open" I've ever seen.
 > >> Providing a tool to manipulate an opaque format doesn't make it any
 > >> less opaque.
 >
 > Eli Barzilay wrote:
 > > Not having such documentation is not a feature (nobody invests money
 > > in keeping it this way), but a problem of not having enough manpower
 > > and funding to do stuff that is mostly irrelevant.
 >
 > That explains /why/ it's not an open format, but it doesn't change the
 > fact that it's not open.

Unless I'm missing something here, it IS an open format.  The source
code for all PLT software is publicly available under the LGPL, and
that source code counts as documentation, even if it's not the most
convenient form.  More importantly, it's not illegal for someone to
read the code and write his own documentation, or write his own tool,
or even to develop a derivative tool or format.  None of this is true
about proprietary file formats.

--dougo at place.org

Posted on the users mailing list.