[plt-scheme] Unicode, take 3

From: Paul Schlie (schlie at comcast.net)
Date: Thu Apr 1 15:42:27 EST 2004

Hi Matthew, sound's interesting, but it still confounds me as to how this
actually truly benefits either the language in general, or Mz/DrScheme in
particular; as it would seem to complicate both, predominantly only enabling
the development of potentially non-portable, and illegible scheme code if it
becomes sanctioned to compose scheme code from nearly arbitrary character
sets, and language scripting rules.

I did read your explanation carefully, but honestly couldn't identify any
truly redeeming benefits, although suspect if I spoke Chinese I might feel
otherwise; but still suspect no characters other than those in the basic
ASCII subset should be enabled to compose officially portable code.

It should be interesting to see if advanced features like this will be
blessed or cursed through the test of time.

Posted on the users mailing list.