[plt-scheme] NetScheme

From: Robby Findler (robby at cs.uchicago.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 29 09:44:08 EST 2003

Sam TH's plan to is to use the plt web server to provide a
teaching-languages only version of DrScheme, so there shouldn't be any
need for downloading anything on the client side (or even starting up
Java).

Once he has the basics going, the idea was to wire it into
http://www.htdp.org/ so students can try out example code easily.

I suspect it would mesh well with your plans, too.

Robby

At Wed, 29 Oct 2003 15:16:18 +0100, Jerzy Karczmarczuk wrote:

> Matthias Felleisen wrote:
> > Samuel Tobin-Hochstadt is working on it. -- Matthias
> >
> It was a response to Dor Kleiman:
>
> >     I would like to see DrScheme on-line, as such.
> >     Using https protocol and a specific port you would go to a secure
> >     password-protected web page on your pc.
> >     Then, you will see a DrScheme like interface (html, of course) where
> >     you would be able to program on your own pc from afar.
>
> As somebody mentioned, it is always possible to use DrScheme or any other
> program from a remote shell. It would be nice to know better what really
> needs  Katsmall T. Wise, Esquire ...
>
> But I know what I would like to have - just for teaching: an interactive Scheme
> e-book. Like in Smalltalk. Like in Scheme/Curl before they decided to make
> money.
>
> For the moment I had shown some slides (PDF or HTML), having the DrScheme inter-
> face open in another Vdesktop, and I switched. Now I am preparing a more serious
> course (for almost beginners, they finally got me...), and the course notes
> should be more autonomous, with all examples accessible by the students working
> alone.
>
> I won't abandon DrScheme, on the contrary, but some parts will use the known
> JScheme applet which gives you a Java-assembled Scheme interface directly on
> your browser. For standard exercices (including several exercices from HDTP)
> it is sufficient.
>
> So, I began to wonder... Would it be possible *in principle* to make a MzScheme
> plugin for Netscape? We know that MrEd is a memory hog, but perhaps the
> possibility to make some Schemplets (Schrapnlets) would be interesting and not
> entirely in the realm of Harry Potter? Just Scheme, without the wx bazaar...
>
> Jerzy Karczmarczuk

Posted on the users mailing list.