[plt-scheme] NetScheme

From: Jerzy Karczmarczuk (karczma at info.unicaen.fr)
Date: Wed Oct 29 09:16:18 EST 2003

Matthias Felleisen wrote:
> Samuel Tobin-Hochstadt is working on it. -- Matthias

It was a response to Dor Kleiman:

>     I would like to see DrScheme on-line, as such.
>     Using https protocol and a specific port you would go to a secure
>     password-protected web page on your pc.
>     Then, you will see a DrScheme like interface (html, of course) where
>     you would be able to program on your own pc from afar.

As somebody mentioned, it is always possible to use DrScheme or any other
program from a remote shell. It would be nice to know better what really
needs  Katsmall T. Wise, Esquire ...

But I know what I would like to have - just for teaching: an interactive Scheme
e-book. Like in Smalltalk. Like in Scheme/Curl before they decided to make
money.

For the moment I had shown some slides (PDF or HTML), having the DrScheme inter-
face open in another Vdesktop, and I switched. Now I am preparing a more serious
course (for almost beginners, they finally got me...), and the course notes
should be more autonomous, with all examples accessible by the students working
alone.

I won't abandon DrScheme, on the contrary, but some parts will use the known
JScheme applet which gives you a Java-assembled Scheme interface directly on
your browser. For standard exercices (including several exercices from HDTP)
it is sufficient.

So, I began to wonder... Would it be possible *in principle* to make a MzScheme
plugin for Netscape? We know that MrEd is a memory hog, but perhaps the
possibility to make some Schemplets (Schrapnlets) would be interesting and not
entirely in the realm of Harry Potter? Just Scheme, without the wx bazaar...

Jerzy Karczmarczuk

Posted on the users mailing list.