[plt-scheme] ipc among mzscheme processes

From: Anton van Straaten (anton at appsolutions.com)
Date: Mon May 12 03:25:32 EDT 2003

Neil W. Van Dyke wrote:
> Before I hack up something, is someone already working on a portable IPC
> mechanism for MzScheme programs?
> Should be implementable in a small library that can be easily coded with
> in agent programs.

Have you seen SCOP:
http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~dmi1000/scop/

It has bindings for Scheme, C, C++, and Java.  The Scheme bindings are
courtesy of Sven Hartrumpf:
http://pi7.fernuni-hagen.de/hartrumpf/scop/

It seems to be for Chicken & Bigloo, but the code looks pretty compact and
straightforward - porting to PLT should be trivial.

I'm not sure if you'd find it any better than XML-RPC for your purposes - in
fact the core data format seems related to XML-RPC - but it does have the
benefit of already existing.  It could make sense as a transport protocol
which could be used to carry sexps, if you're looking for something
semantically richer than what SCOP itself offers.

> I'm strongly leaning towards the old standby of spitting sexps over
> TCP/IP sockets (no Unix domain sockets).  Probably one connection per
> message.

That's what I do, over HTTP.  But then, I'm doing that in web apps, so it
does make a certain amount of sense...  :)

Anton

Posted on the users mailing list.