[plt-scheme] schemeql

From: Anton van Straaten (anton at appsolutions.com)
Date: Tue Mar 25 15:02:21 EST 2003

Francisco Solsona wrote:
> I see two possible solutions:
>
>  (a) to catch, inside SchemeQL, any exception regarding the use of
>  col-attribute, ignore it, and then try col-attributes (note the
>  final `s', which is the ODBC 2.0 name for the exact same function!)
>
>  (b) to find the place in SrPersist where this procedure is
>  implemented, and see if something is wrong, or catch this buggy
>  exceptions there.
>
> In any event, making the call to col-attribute(s) is important
> to retrieve the column size (of every column) and then create
> appropriate buffers to receive the results, so it is *not* an
> option to remove this call.

Thanks for the info.  As soon as I get a chance, I will dig into this
further.

> According to this reference I have, inverting the condition above is
> not the Right Thing(TM) to do either.  It would mean that your ODBC
> driver is 2.0 compliant, not 3.51, or such... but is it?

I didn't think that inverting the condition would be a permanent or general
fix, but it seems to have worked for this case (so far)...  perhaps the
driver is simply sufficiently backwards compatible?

> The (c) option I omit above is to shut all ODBC creators,
> and maintainers for making it so hard to use it in the
> presence of different versions, and do it all over again. :-)

Did you mean " *shoot* all ODBC creators"?  No argument from me!

BTW, from the little I've done with it so far, SchemeQL looks very cool, not
to mention useful.  It's also a great example of why it's useful to be able
to embed languages.

Anton

Posted on the users mailing list.