[plt-scheme] availability of RPM for RH 8.0 and DrScheme 203

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 4 11:47:58 EST 2003

At Tue, 4 Mar 2003 11:12:54 -0500, "Paul Steckler" wrote:
> Right, I was simply indicating that we (currently) wouldn't put an RPM
> on our main distribution pages, for the reasons stated.

I don't understand.

I do understand why PLT at NEU doesn't want to build and maintain RPMs and
other such packages. The packages a pain to construct, and the few
people at NEU don't have enough time (by a long shot) cover the many
variants of Linux.

I also understand that there may be a better process for managing RPMs
than accepting contributions ad hoc. But setting up such a process will
take some time.

Meanwhile, however, I don't understand why we can't put contributed
packages on the download page. How much effort is it to upload a
package and patch the web page?

> Maybe Matthew Flatt wants to put it on the developer's page,
> http://www.cs.utah.edu/plt/develop/.

That's not the right place. We'd just ending sending lots of e-mail to
tell people where the RPMs are hidden.

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.