[plt-scheme] NW: Development Status of SchemeDoc

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 6 11:38:09 EST 2003

--- Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> Well, obviously, my first thought when I saw this is
> that if there was
> a seperate documentation extraction mechanism I
> could easily use it
> for Swindle

Ok.  The extraction thing is pretty simple.  There are
two markups: the user markup which has shorthand forms
for common stuff, and the internal markup it is
translated into, which is a very verbose grammar
(which happens to be represented as structures but
could be transformed into sexps.  E.g. you can write

(contract (list-of number) -> number)

and the internal version it is translated into is

(contract (domain "(list-of number)")
          (range "number"))

This is done in preprcoessor.ss

The user markup _is_ represented as sexps.
parse-doc-comment.ss extracts it.

> But also, if the
> annotations are easy enough, and the extraction is
> robust enough, it
> should be useful in very different contexts like
> latex, info, and even
> interactive help...

I'm not sure if you mean generating latex, info, etc.
or you mean extracting comments from latex, info etc.

For the former its just a walk over the internal tree
generating the correct output.  WebIt! makes this as
easy as any other tool-kit would.  This is certainly
on the horizon.

For the later; maybe.  Out of scope for the project as
it stands right now but if there is interest...

Noel