[plt-scheme] Exposing non-exported module variable bindings.

From: Richard C. Cobbe (cobbe at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 18 08:45:43 EST 2003

Lo, on Wednesday, December 17, Noel Welsh did write:

> --- "Richard C. Cobbe" <cobbe at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> > But I don't want to put my test
> > cases in the module
> > itself, for a variety of reasons:
>
> I agree with your reasons and I'm sure I'll use this macro when I get
> back to hacking Scheme.  In fact I'd like to make it part of the next
> SchemeUnit distribution.  Others have some good ideas as well, so I
> think it will be quite an improvement.

Sounds great!  Looking forward to it.

> >   3) Since, last time I checked, the schemeunit gui
> > was still broken
> >      when used with CVS versions of DrScheme
>
> Still?  I didn't even know it was broken :-) Ryan Culpepper did most
> of the work on the GUI.  I believe he's at NEU so maybe you can prod
> him into fixing it?

Yeah, I tend not to file bug reports about SchemeUnit's GUI; it's
usually easier to turn around and tell Ryan directly.

Khorev Sergey has posted that he's successfully gotten the SchemeUnit
GUI to work with CVS DrScheme.  I haven't had a chance to try again
recently, since it's been an incredibly (unreasonably?) busy semester,
and we're in the middle of finals week.  (This, incidentally, is also
why I haven't been prodding Ryan in to fixing it: he's got the same
classes I do.  <grin>)

When things calm down after Christmas, I'll try again with more recent
versions of the software and see what the story is.

> > I haven't thought about the problem in any detail or looked at
> > existing research in this specific area, but my suspicion is that
> > closing down all such holes results in a language that is
> > theoretically very clean but so inflexible as to be impractical.
>
> You mean SML? ;-)

Very possibly.  :-)

In fairness, I don't actually know *ML all that well.  Their supporters
seem to think that the language is perfectly practically usable, despite
their relative lack of flexibility when compared to Scheme.  At some
point, in my copious spare time (bwah hah hah hah!) I'd like to try to
learn one of the MLs, if only to see what all the shouting's about.

Richard

Posted on the users mailing list.