[plt-scheme] Game Development in MzScheme

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Dec 8 02:38:37 EST 2003

--- Paulo Jorge de Oliveira Cantante de Matos
Hi all,

> The main question is: Is there any work on bindings
> for any popular game engines?

None I'm aware of.  If you choose to write bindings my
advice is to use SWIG (http://swig.org/).

> However, I'd like to know if it is worth the work or
> is MzScheme not fast enough to run such a game?
>
> Should game development be restricted to C/C++ or
> scheme is worth a try?

MzScheme is not fast enough to write the graphics
engine of a 3D game in.  However, most games produced
these days have a highly optimised core and a
scripting
language driving that core.  MzScheme is a good choice
for such a scripting language.  I know of a few
companies developing games that don't use C or
C++ for the majority of their coding:

  - Motion Twin are using O'Caml with a few core C
  functions for graphics

  - Naughty Dog write all their games (I think Jak &
  Dexter most recently) in a compiled Lisp/Scheme
  dialect

In my highly subjective opinion the majority of
companies in the game industry have very poor
development practices.  This is due to a combination
of
machismo ("real programmers use C") and an erroneous
assumption that methodology will interfere with
creativity.  The companies challenging these
assumptions seem to be doing quite well.

N.

=====
Email: noelwelsh <at> yahoo <dot> com
Jabber: noelw <at> jabber <dot> org