[plt-scheme] Request for pretty-printing in webserver

From: MJ Ray (markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Wed Apr 2 09:45:01 EST 2003

Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
>> I think that's part of the disagreement here.  The webserver assumes
>> that you are producing XML by default, and that whitespace matters.
>
> All this is irrelevant for a webserver.

I don't understand why you claim that.

>> ...but a solved problem with things like HtmlPrag or even Tidy?
> Do you really think that having a webserver that generates xml data
> which is then rendered onto a pipe which is then parsed back to xml
> data which is then rerendered as a different form of text makes sense?

No, but it is done and works, while enlarging whitespace groups in
xml output from the webserver is generally broken with the current APIs.

[...]
> I didn't intend to generalize on all, since I didn't see all.  Its
> just that I never saw any commercial web publisher generate good html
> code.

No qualifier was used.  Some of my code is commercial.  Some of it
produces good code.  Just thought I'd clarify that.

--
MJR