[plt-scheme] Fwd: [Contrib-Rpm] drscheme-202-1mdk

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Mon Oct 7 11:34:48 EDT 2002

On Sunday, October 6, 2002, at 01:11 PM, Eli Barzilay wrote:

> On Oct  6, Guillaume Rousse wrote:
>>> Wouldn't it be better to have the links in system directories
>>> pointing
>>> to real files in the PLT directory?  PLT have their own mechanism for
>>> upgrading stuff, which means that if such a tool is ever used to
>>> update on of these files (which didn't happen so far IIRC), it will
>>> replace the link with a real file and the file in the system
>>> directory
>>> will still be the old one.
>> Mixing rpm-based installation and manual installation/upgrade
>> procedure is a
>> bad idea IMHO. Once you use a rpm, upgrade the rpm otherwise you will
>> short-circuit rpm database.
>
> I agree that it is a bad idea, but by I don't think there's any to
> confuse people who do try it.

Paul Steckler suggested to me that perhaps the rpm should be a
source-only
distribution, and Paul Graunke concurred (as I recall).  Of course,
this leaves
the rpm user with the responsibility to manually compile and install
DrScheme
itself, but it does seem to separate the action of the rpm mechanism and
DrScheme's installation/update mechanisms in a nice way.

>>> Also, I would call the rpm plt for the same reason as the directory
>>> name,
>> I found the package following a link called "Download DrScheme", so i
>> assumed
>> i downloaded only a part of plf project.
>
> Go to www.plt-scheme.org, then to software, then to "other plt
> software", and you'll see four entries that are all included.  (But I
> don't know if they plan on adding more stuff.)

DrScheme is the 'umbrella' plt project.  PLT does not distribute a
family of
packages which live in separate subdirectories of a plt/ directory;
rather,
PLT's projects are built in layers on top of each other.  For instance,
all PLT products depend on a single collection of scheme files. DrScheme
subsumes all other projects in the sense that it provides the largest
basic framework for using PLT products.  It is also, as installed, by
far
the largest piece of the PLT output.

For all of these reasons, it is expected and appropriate that the
default
installation of DrScheme should go into a directory named plt.

>>  I would put a link to http://www.plt-scheme.org/ since it is
>>> more useful
>>> From what i understand from web site, plt also include others
>>> projects,
>> whereas this package only correspond to a subproject. When packaging
>> gcc, you
>> don't refer to GNU project page, do you ?
>
> But see above.

I agree that DrScheme is not a sub-project.

john clements

Posted on the users mailing list.