[plt-scheme] The Junk oops Jolt Awards

From: Neil W. Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Tue Nov 19 06:39:48 EST 2002

Noel Welsh <noelwelsh at yahoo.com> writes at 02:22 19-Nov-2002 -0800:
> This year's Jolt award nominations have opened, bringing the usual
> shovel-load of junk to the attention of the development community

Junk?  My employer won the 1990 CASE category Jolt!  The soda can looked
great in our lobby when military/aerospace/datacomm types came by to be
persuaded to spend 6 figures on a glorified diagramming tool. :)

> It doesn't have to be that way!  If we all nominate PLT Scheme in the

Nominated.  I alluded to the idea that Scheme tends to attract a
disproportionate share of expert developers, so that the user community
and contributed libraries tend to be high signal:noise.  Or so that's my
hopeful theory.[*]

[*] This theory could be put less diplomatically as: "Do I want to use
    *one* library written by Oleg Kiselyov, or do I want to wade through
    the code of *a dozen* superficially-comparable libraries of
    widely-varying quality in the CPAN grab-bag?" :)

--
                                                        Neil W. Van Dyke
                                             http://www.neilvandyke.org/