[plt-scheme] I want the old help desk back

From: Michael Sperber [Mr. Preprocessor] (sperber at informatik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Tue Aug 27 10:14:51 EDT 2002

>>>>> "Shriram" == Shriram Krishnamurthi <sk at cs.brown.edu> writes:

Shriram>   For list-related administrative tasks:

Shriram> Michael Sperber [Mr.  Preprocessor] wrote:

>> Well sure, but this is kind of a circular argument, as the old help
>> desk apparently didn't need those tags.  Or is the new setup offering
>> some new functionality that I've missed so far?

Shriram> One major change was the switch from LaTeX2HTML/TrashyTexTools to
Shriram> Dorai Sitaram's tex2page.  We have also, under the guise of having a
Shriram> real HTML browser available, been much more lax about the kind of HTML
Shriram> we use, imagining we were unconstrained by our own weak browser.

Sure, I see all that.  I still think it would have been nice to offer
the old browser during a transition period.  So far, three out of
three installs I've done did *not* work out of the box, and it
wouldn't have been obvious to a newbie at all how to fix the problem.
(Maybe I'm just too old for this new-age web browser setup stuff, and
the kids figure all of this out in no time at all.)

Speaking of problems: I haven't been able to install the additional
documentation .plts from the Help Desk under MacOS X at all: Internet
Explorer just sits there, waiting for something to show up in the
installation log, and nothing ever shows up.

--
Cheers =8-} Mike