[racket-dev] Semantics of struct-out with except-out

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at cs.indiana.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 15 11:00:19 EDT 2014

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 10:12 AM, J. Ian Johnson <ianj at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> Code will break if it uses struct to produce structs, provides a renamed an accessor function, and uses an unhygienic feature to name the field.
> The features I know of are struct-copy, struct* match patterns, and contract-out's struct form.

The backwards compatibility is a concern, but even more so, I don't
think it makes sense for hiding a particular identifier from provide,
or renaming it, to change the _contents_ of the static struct info. If
there was an explicit option in `struct-out` to do that, it would make
more sense, but `except-out` should not affect anything but the
identifiers named.

> No one but me probably did this, and that's what led to my discovery of the unhygienic state of struct-copy and my previous regex-based PR to "fix" it.
> I don't /need/ to rename fields, since in the case that a field accessor is renamed to something entirely different (e.g., Foo-x => Qux), a renamed field doesn't quite benefit readability of a struct-copy that uses field "x". If renaming Foo-x to Foo-y, then a x -> y rename is helpful. I have not yet come across a need for this however.
> I can wait on this feature of struct-out (and probably contract-out's struct form as well).

If we don't actually have a need for this, then let's wait, since it
seems like it adds a bunch of complexity.

Sam

> Thanks,
> -Ian

Posted on the dev mailing list.