[racket-dev] ready for the package switch?

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Wed Jun 19 09:06:54 EDT 2013

Yesterday, Carl Eastlund wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 2:02 PM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
>
>     20 minutes ago, Carl Eastlund wrote:
>     > [...]
>     >
>     >   git rebase -s recursive -X rename-threshold=50% mflatt/pkg2
>
>     From a brief reading, I think that you're much better off with
>     "-X subtree=/some/path".  There's also a subtree strategy, which
>     you'd get with "-s subtree", but it is guessing how to do the
>     path shifting.
>
> I thought that too, but it didn't work when I tried it.  Some of my
> files need to go in racket/lib, some in pkgs/racket-tests, and I
> think there might have been a third place.  So unless everything is
> uniformly going to the same place, the subtree options don't help.

In that case, I think that you should rebase each commit based on
where it should go, and possibly split commits that touch different
paths.

At a higher level, things like this point to possible mistakes in
package splitting which should be fixed.  In some cases they might
mean that a different split should happen, but in the case of the
racket tests I think that it's far too broad and should be taken as a
temporary package until all tests move out into their proper places.
Maybe Matthew decided to make it a separate package because of
this.