[racket-dev] ready for the package switch?

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Tue Jun 18 14:20:28 EDT 2013

Carl Eastlund wrote at 06/18/2013 01:36 PM:
> <rant>I don't understand why version control systems don't take
> directories and renames more seriously, because this stuff is part of
> the development cycle and should be recorded like any other change.</rant>

This doesn't help, but...  I think the reason is that it's hard to do,
so most SCM systems haven't even tried.  It's very common for a rename
to be a delete-plus-add in the model.  Or, in an RCS/SCCS/etc.-backed
system like CVS, for someone to simply rename the files in the
repository server's filesystem and break any branches that did not want
those files renamed.

Perhaps the most sophisticated SCM I've used, Atria ClearCase (a
descendant of Apollo DSEE) in the early-mid 1990s, had a much more
sophisticated model than the others, and, IIRC, even did fancy things
like monitoring filesystem operations(?), but it cost a lot of money and
required a lot of sys-admin.

Git's free-ness and popularity makes it the obvious choice to use
nowadays, but in my limited experience with it, Git seems to have a lot
of evolution of "let's add on yet another somewhat different concept to
our numerous existing concepts that originally built upon some scripts
that Linus found useful for managing kernel patches", rather than
nailing a clean and sufficient model from the start.  This is a source
of frustration to those of us who have used a dozen other SCM systems
and recall basic things being easier to do in the past.

Neil V.

Posted on the dev mailing list.