[racket-dev] I'd like to add a sidebar link to all documentation versions in docs.racket-lang.org.

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Sun Feb 24 18:51:41 EST 2013

40 minutes ago, Danny Yoo wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 3:55 PM, Robby Findler
> <robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:
> > How about the "docs" link on the front page go to a page with the
> > versions all listed, and those links go to pages that look like
> > the current docs.racket-lang.org/ ?
>
> No, I do like that the default is to show the docs for the current
> version.

I agree: the need for the doc link to go to the current version is
much stronger than accommodating older versions.

> I do like Eli's updates to the old pages: those doc links are right.
>
> I think your earlier suggestion of making the version at the upper
> right somehow selectable would address my discoverability concern.
> A select box right below the "Version 5.3.3" which allows the user
> to select different versions would be one way to do it.  It would be
> similar to what the Python folks do; see the top bar of
> http://docs.python.org/3/ and note how they make it easy to see
> older versions of their documentation.  I think that's the right
> idea.

Whatever you want for getting to older versions is much less relevant
ATM.  The main problem is having a tweaked version of the pages on the
web -- which is needed, for example, since such a dropdown box would
make no sense for the documentation pages on your own installation.