[racket-dev] Planet 2 Beta Release

From: Carl Eastlund (cce at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 8 17:36:24 EST 2012

The original Planet had explicit rules for versions, and in practice I
found they got in the way almost as often as they helped.  Worse, when they
did get in the way, there was no way around them.  I have not looked at
Planet 2 in detail yet, but it looks like it has a simpler model where
versions are dealt with directly by maintainers and clients.  So while
Planet 2 isn't doing the work for you, it's also not keeping you from doing
what you want/need to do.

This isn't ideal -- I'd really like a system that does all the nice things
you mention, Tobias -- but only once someone has a design that really gets
it "right".  Until then, I'd much rather have my options open and a system
that stays out of my way.

Carl Eastlund