[racket-dev] Planet 2 Beta Release

From: Tobias Hammer (tobias.hammer at dlr.de)
Date: Thu Nov 8 17:22:21 EST 2012

Just out of curiosity: What are your / the teams objections against some
kind of real versioning system that allows to

* specify a version number without creating a new package
* specify dependencies based on minimal version
* keep/pin a package at some particular version (maybe your code
   depends on an exact, even buggy behavior)
* keep directory and file names between incompatible versions
   without getting banned from solar

What made me also wonder when i read the docs is, why is it allowed to
have packets that have the same directories as the core racket
distribution?

Tobias

On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 14:16:58 +0100, Jay McCarthy <jay.mccarthy at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Now that the 5.3.1 release is finished, I've just pushed the beta release
> of Planet 2 to the Racket core.
>
> I've tried to answer all questions and explain everything about Planet 2
> in
> the documentation, which I've uploaded a copy of here:
>
> http://faculty.cs.byu.edu/~jay/tmp/20121108-pkgs/planet2/index.html
>
> In particular, it explains what the plan is to go from this beta release
> the final release.
>
> If you currently have packages on Planet 1, I am excited to help you make
> the transition to Planet 2. (I am currently in the process of converting
> my
> packages.) Please do not hesitate to let me know how I can help.
>
> This represents the third iteration of the design of Planet 2. (The first
> was worked on from August 10, 2010 to March 11, 2011. The second in July
> 2011. The third from August 2011 until now, although coding didn't begin
> until December 2011.)
>
> Enjoy,
>
> Jay
>
> p.s. In the implementation, I'm particularly proud of the little language
> for defining command-line interfaces with matching functions (see
> planet2/main.rkt for a use) and the testing infrastructure that allows
> you
> to run sequences of shell commands and check their output (see
> tests/planet2/tests-install.rkt for a nice example.)

Posted on the dev mailing list.