[racket-dev] Generics and data structures

From: Asumu Takikawa (asumu at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed May 9 21:31:55 EDT 2012

On 2012-05-09 19:01:10 -0400, Neil Van Dyke wrote:
> When you say "dictionaries, sequences,", are you including the
> Racket types hash, vector, and list?

Yes, the changes we made to racket/dict will work with hashes, vectors,
and a-lists in the same way it did before. The only difference is when
you define your own dictionaries using struct properties.

> If so, would current performance for those Racket types be affected?
> And does this have implications for what optimizations the compiler
> would likely make in the foreseeable future?

There should not be any performance impact for the base types. The
racket/dict functions will not dispatch to generic methods unless the
given object does not match any of the supported base types.

Cheers,
Asumu

Posted on the dev mailing list.