[racket-dev] Generics and data structures

From: Ryan Culpepper (ryan at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Wed May 9 20:02:04 EDT 2012

On 05/09/2012 04:13 PM, Asumu Takikawa wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Racket currently provides several generic extensible data structure APIs
> such as dictionaries, sequences, streams, and so on. Unfortunately, each
> data structure currently has its own extension API, but no consistent
> convention exists: some APIs use lists of methods, some use vectors,
> etc.  Furthermore, these APIs are usually rather low-level (e.g.,
> dependent on ordering in the method table).
>
> Vincent and I have been working on a unified user-friendly extension
> interface based on unstable/generics by Eli and Jay (which we have moved
> to collects/generics). We have a prototype that implements our proposed
> interface for prop:dict and prop:ordered-dict with complete backwards
> compatibility with their respective extension APIs. That is, we have
> modified racket/dict and data/ordered-dict to use generics.
>
> The code is on github here:
>    https://github.com/takikawa/racket/tree/generics
>
> We would like to get feedback on what we have so far and if nobody has
> any objections, we would like to push what we currently have to master.
>
> Ideally, we would provide similar interfaces for the other generic APIs
> in the tree, such as streams and sequences. However, the existing APIs
> rely on different representations for method tables from the one used by
> unstable/generics, specifically a vector of methods. This makes
> backwards compatibility complicated and we're not sure how to proceed.
>
> Some specific examples:
>    * `prop:sequence`: Instead of a vector of methods, this struct
>      property takes a procedure which takes a struct instance and
>      produces a sequence (not a vector of methods).
>
>    * `prop:equal+hash-code` uses a list of methods instead of a vector.
>
>    * `prop:dict/contract` is given both a method vector and a vector
>      of sub-contracts that are used to assemble the method contracts.
>      The generics library currently uses a single vector.
>
> To apply our proposal to these cases, we could change these struct
> properties to use the generics library's preferred representation.
> However, this would break backwards compatibility with code that
> currently uses these struct properties, which makes this a non-starter.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed without breaking
> backwards compatibility?

See the 'supers' argument to 'make-struct-type-property'.

Create 'real-prop:sequence' that takes a vector (compatible with
generics library).

Define 'prop:sequence' as a backwards compatibility property that takes
an old-style implementation and transforms it into the new-style
implementation vector. 'prop:dict/contract' plays the same trick, IIRC.

Ryan